Lecture/Lab: combination of lecture, discussion, and case study methods
Online Training – Food Safety Certification
Food safety and good agriculture practices on an organic farming depends on the student-workers’ good health and hygiene practices.
• Students will learn the purpose of GAPs is to give logical guidance in implementing best management practices that will help to reduce the risks of microbial contamination of fruits and vegetables.
• The course explains what and why are proper health and hygiene important, discusses the sources of human contamination, provides the basic rules to prevent contamination, and details the components of student-worker training.
• GAPs include student-worker hygiene and health, manure use and water quality throughout the production and harvesting process.
• CTAHR Farm Food Safety: Good Agricultural Practices Education – Science-based education for Hawai’i growers and handlers. (hawaii.edu)
• Washington: https://ps.spes.vt.edu/producers/documents/6%20GAP_GHPmanualEnglish_WSDA.pdf
• Minnesota: https://extension.umn.edu/safety/growing-safe-food
• Pennsylvania https://www.fns.usda.gov/cfs/implementing-farm-school-activities-food-safety; https://extension.psu.edu/farm-worker-health-and-hygiene-basic-rules-video